1) DEFINING “THERAPY”
- OR, maybe you feel therapy could be helpful, but are unsure how to describe your sense of unease or unhappiness, where to start, or what to talk about.
- OR, you may have already decided to seek therapy. Then how I might work with you in therapy, what approach , depends upon who you are, and your reason(s) for seeking therapy.
2) CHOOSING A THERAPIST
- H2H ~ Heard to Healing When you phone or email me, we’ll arrange to meet for a consultation session (one or more). I’ll listen to your story.– how you are feeling, where your life is right now, and how you believe you got here. Whether you’ve seen a therapist before or not, my job is to listen carefully and try to clarify your issues. I will give you some feedback and help you think through the following ABC’s.
- A-B-C’s After talking together, we will do three things during our initial consultation session(s):
- Try to clarity and to understand your feelings and issues and priorities.
- Consider some broad goals for yourself and some specific goals for therapy, to whatever depth you are comfortable.
- Determine together whether I’m the best person to work with you right now.
3) MEETING FOR THE FIRST TIMEThe relationship between us contributes enormously to what you get out of therapy. The theory and approach I may use is secondary. So during and after our first session, you may wish to ask yourself: First Session Questions:
- What does it feel like to “sit with” her?
- Does she listen well? seem attuned to my feelings? seem to understand me?
- Does she ask me the important questions about my feelings? my life?
- Does she challenge me to ‘dig deeper’?
- Does she ask about, and understand, my developmental context, i.e. how my past influences my present?
- Can she be practical boots-on-the-ground if/when I request that?
- Can I feel whatever I need to with her? sad? vulnerable? joyful? Can I get mad at her? depend upon her?
- And, does she have a sense of humor? be playful? so I can anticipate having a little fun together during this sometimes difficult journey?